Friday, January 8, 2010

What else are you doing right now...?

I read in an article this week that some official survey somewhere reported that the most successful, powerful, and wealthy women in the world all report that they do NOT multi-task. HOW is that possible?!

I have thought about this all week. I am constantly multi-tasking. But the more I considered the issue, the more convinced I became that I am, in fact, NOT very good at multi-tasking. I just try it all the time. And fail. Mostly.

Pretty interesting, I thought.

A perfect example happened this week. I decided to 1. spend time with my husband 2. watch Friends and 3. cut out articles and pictures I want to save from magazines so I can purge my huge pile of publications....all at the same time....
I ended up, instead, focusing mainly on my magazines, slightly on Friends, and not paying my husband absolutely any attention at all.
I was, therefore, failing miserably at all three tasks because the entire point of pulling out the articles was to inspire updates in our home, which I ultimately do so that WE will have a home WE both will love and enjoy. I was "watching" Friends with him because WE love to watch it together and the whole point of not having anyone over that evening was so that WE could spend time together alone. Failed, failed, failed.

Ahh! These are the lessons I'm learning! Thankfully, the article I had read was fresh on my mind and I realized quickly what a mess I was brewing up. So I threw my scissors down (non-violently) and curled up by my husband on the couch.

Crisis averted. Multi-tasking eschewed.

Just one more day in the life of the first year....! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today! I understand completely what you mean about multi-tasking. I teach school, and this morning as my students were arriving, I was eating my breakfast/greeting students/stapling reading tests/checking students' morning work/reading one quick blog before the day started/talking to the teacher across the hall! Unfortunately, I messed up two test papers because I didn't staple them correctly, I have no idea what that "must-read" blog was about, and I dropped most of my breakfast on the floor...so I guess I'm not that great at it either! :) We probably all need to focus completely on one thing at a time instead of trying to do so much at once. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete