Sunday, January 17, 2010

Silver Service


Hope you had a wonderful weekend! Ours' was lovely but far, far too short. I vote for a minimum three day weekend...anyone with me?

I got a little antsy this week with the bookshelf in our bedroom and decided to make some changes. Just didn't look "pretty" to me and the top of it had become a hot spot for all sorts of odds and ends. One thing led to another and I ended up going through the dark recesses beneath our bed and rediscovering some silver plated trays and platters my mother-in-law had given me. Although I am determined to use these lovely things on a daily basis later in our life when we own a home and entertain several times a week (!), I really have very little use for them on a daily basis now. But I am dead set against "saving" my possessions for more worthy occasions!! Now is a worthy occasion and, darn it, I want to show off my silver!
I decided to display them throughout our home...

This is my bouquet...which you've seen before...but doesn't the tray look a million times better underneath it?
Our bookshelf from afar...
And up closer. I decided to create a little "perfumerie" tray and display some treasures...jewelry boxes, a carnival glass bud vase, an antique powder puff, and perfume bottles from my grandmother. I used a square glass vase to elevate my favorite silk arrangment of roses. I'm not usually a silk flower gal, but these blooms from Pier 1 met my standards. :)



I am looking for ways to brighten up our bedroom for the spring and I think the gleam of silver has really helped.

And our nightstand...much benefitting from a lovely pewter tray given to us as a bridal gift. Again, the reflection of the lamp light really awakens this corner of our room.

I love "shopping" our house and I think the trays help to compartmentalize our accessories, as well as add some beauty.
I am trying to learn how emphasize my collections without looking stuffy...I'd love more ideas as to how to do this, if you have any suggestions!

Hope you all have a beautiful Monday! If you're like me, it was a little hard to face the new week this morning. But be encouraged! Our Father is not a Father of fear and He is with you, even in your times of suffering.


John 9:1-3
"As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, 'Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?'
'Neither this man nor his parents sinned ,' said Jesus, 'but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.'"


Much Love,
C

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR BOOKSHELF IN YOUR ROOM!!! I can't believe I haven't seen your post-Christmas arrangement yet! :) I love the silver tray under your bouquet, and how the one on your nightstand reflects the light! I'm going to have to try that!

    love~ allie

    ReplyDelete